Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend Update

This weekend was surprisingly exciting :) 

Friday night I went on a wine cruise on the Potomac River, which runs by a lot of the monuments so it was a wonderful view. The wine cruise we went on gave us 10 "samples" of wine which turned out to be 10 "shots" of wine. Good thing we improvised by filling a Nalgene bottle with white wine and filling our pockets with mini bar shooters. After the wine cruise we continued to Spider Kelly's which was full of amazingly beautiful men and more shots... By the end of the night I was good and liquored up!

Saturday, my friend and I decided to be touristy and hit the Smithsonian museum area. We went to the Washington Monument which, FUN FACT: is two colors of stone because due to poor planning, they ran out of money during the build and had to get the rest of the rock years later from another quarry (thanks Matt). We also went to the National Aquarium which I don't recommend. It is not worth $9 because it is basically a large fish tank, and the "shark feedings" they speak of... did not meet expectations... although the eels were pretty amusing.
Amazing Awesomeness

Next, we stopped by the American History Museum to see Dorothy's slippers! Then, we went to the art museum which helped get my creative juices flowing since I've had a bit of a creative block lately. We also walked through the sculpture garden which was amazing. We didn't spend too much time there because we were both pretty hot, tired, and hungry at this point, but I definitely plan on going back. This tree sculpture was by far my favorite! (as you can tell by my art, I love trees, and my school notebooks were always littered with drawings of them).

Next, my roomie Steff gave Matt and I a tour of the Pentagon! I wish I had pictures to show off but for obvious reasons, I wasn't allowed to take photos. The Pentagon is an overwhelmingly huge building to begin with, and the high level of security made it seem even more bad ass (yes, the first thing I think of to describe the Pentagon is bad ass. As I sit here writing this entry, I keep trying to think of a better word to describe the feeling you get when you are about to walk in the entrance to the Pentagon, but I think bad ass is about the only thing that can accurately describe it). The building is intricate making it easy to get lost between the rings, corridors, and floors. The September 11th Memorial Chapel is beautiful and full of yellow glowing light. The outside memorial is beautiful as well, as it is made up of 184 silver benches to represent each of the 184 lives lost in the flight and Pentagon. There is also an extravagant food court and shopping center equipped with their own Best Buy, CVS, and DMV (to name a few).

Buildings like that have the power to make you feel so insignificant compared to the overall picture. It's like being hooked up to a lie detector... even if you know you haven't done anything wrong, the pressure makes you question everything. Lets just say that I was scared to take my metal eco-bottle out of my purse for fear that I would be "taken out" for "suspicious activity." Lets also say that I'm a little intimidated to put anything else about what I saw in the Pentagon in this entry so we'll just leave it at that!

So what's next?! Who wants to give me a tour of the White House?... :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day :) Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...